Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Day three at KDS

Hello everyone! Thank you for your encouraging words and prayers! Today was another amazing day at KDS! We were able to spend our entire day teaching throughout the school. The children are such an inspiration, and we are so blessed to take part in their story. Each day as we drive in and out of Dandora, our hearts are transformed even more. We feel no pity, no disgust. Instead respect and inspiration grow as we observe the community surrounding KDS. These people are skilled, hard-working, inspired and most of all, faithful beyond belief. In the face of challenge and struggle, there is ambition, strength, resilience and hope. As a result, we aspire to use our resources and gifts from God as much as we can to help others.

I am so overjoyed to announce that I am sponsoring a beautiful baby girl from the Nursery class named Evelyn. Pictures to come soon! I can't change the whole world, but I CAN change the world of one child!! (that is Kenya Children's Fund's motto) See the Everett Hale quote below, it's awesome! PS-mom, this is the closest thing you get to a grandbaby for a long time, so revel in it!!!
-Jen

Here are some quotes that have been resonating in our hearts:

"It's not my ability, but my response to God's ability that counts." -Corrie Ten Boom

"I choose to identify with the underprivileged. I choose to identify with the poor. I choose to give my life for the hungry. I choose to give my life for those who have been left out of the sunlight of opportunity. I choose to live for and with those who find themselves seeing life as a long and desolate corridor with no exit sign. This is the way I am going. If it means suffering a little bit, I'm going that way. If it means sacrificing, I am going that way. If it means dying for them, I'm going that way because I heard a voice saying, "DO SOMETHING FOR OTHERS." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. What I can do, I should do, and with the help of God, I WILL DO!" -Everett Hale

Please feel free to leave a passage in the comments section to share with us.

His,
The TeachInKenya2009 Team

3 comments:

  1. you girls are all so amazing for what you are giving to these children, for what you are giving to the adults. you truely sound like you are making a differance. maybe not as much as you wish you could but still making a differance.

    raising jennifer as a single mom, teachers were so important to both of us. they helped jennifer to be the person she is today and helped me be the mother i am to jennifer. as a little girl jennifer always wanted to be a teacher. she feels if she can give what was given to her she is doing her job, her calling. as i read the blog i cry proud tears. i'm glad she has wonderful people that have showed her this wonderful path we call life. i love you jennifer and as always you make me proud to be your mother.
    MAY GOD WATCH ALL OF YOU WITH PROUD EYES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok now you both have me crying. That is an incredible blog Jen and your mom's comments are amazing. I love you both and am proud to be related to both of you! You are both an inspiration to me.

    I had to laugh when you said "PS-mom, this is the closest thing you get to a grandbaby for a long time, so revel in it!!!" that was priceless!

    I am very proud of you Jen. I know I have said it over and over but you just continue to do more amazing things with your life and share your love of life with everyone you can. It is truly awesome.

    All of you stay safe and continue this incredible journey. Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is incredible. I am stunned that these people have so little, and we are living in McMansions

    ReplyDelete